The story began in 1873 from an idea by Cavalier Ferruccio Marchi, fond of chemistry, who was able to see the possibility to use animal bones, at that time used by carpenters to obtain glue, to extrapolate a chemical product.
He discovered that by treating animal bones with oil of vitriol, namely sulphuric acid, they could become monocalcium phosphates or superphosphates, excellent fertilizers.
This is the history of a man who very bravely decided to challenge the perplexities of his townsmen of Pescia, and that alone, by investing his few belongings (the legend has it that he even sold his wife's gold chain) started this enterprise.
The Marchi company was then officially born in 1873 in Pescia and for a long time, indeed starting from its origins, was nicknamed "La fabbrica dell'ossi" (The bone factory).
Within a few years the business grew considerably and improved with the production of superphosphate, mineral, obtained through the treatment of phosphorites with sulphuric acid.
Given this strong growth, the factory of Pescia appears inadequate because of its geographical location, away from Livorno, where the materials needed to manage the entire production are landed, but it is important to keep in mind that this was the pilot plant that served as a model and guide for the future factories.
In 1899 the factory of Marano Veneziano for the production of chemical fertilizers opened.
The choice of the geographical location is determined both by the ease of obtaining raw materials by rail and waterways, and by the proximity of large agricultural consumption areas.
This factory has been an excellent example of industrial architecture since the end of the Nineteenth century. The plant and the geometry of the structure, tailored to the needs of a certain type of production, have undergone restructuring and significant adjustments, anyway respectful and in harmony with the original base plant. In the factory in Marano the best technological knowledge of the time, enriched by the experience gained in the factory of Pescia, were used; thus, a plant for the production of sulphuric acid with the "lead chambers" system and a system for the production of superphosphate mineral was created.
The real change came in 1910, when the family acquired the mine of Ravi, rich in deposits of pyrite, which, at that time was the essential raw material for the production of sulphuric acid. This choice, which allows obtaining sulphuric acid directly, would prove to be very successful and allowed the company to grow more and more.
In 1923 the factory of Livorno for the production of sulphuric acid and mineral superphosphate opened.
During the war the factories were destroyed, but the Marchi family rebuild them quickly.
Meanwhile Ferruccio's children, Carlo and Giulio, join their father in the management of the company, giving it a more and more modern connotation, open to the specific requirements of the fertilizer market.
In 1970 the factory of Pescia was closed and after two years, in 1972, the factory of Livorno was closed, too. Since that time, the Marchi's chemical activity was concentrated in the factory of Marano.